Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Self Portrait Challenge
A Letter to Myself
This picture was taken at Heaven Sent in North Park. I'm drinking a Mexican hot chocolate!
These are actual mini scrabble tiles purchased from a junk bin at Paper Tales.

I just love the image of the little girl.
Materials:
  • stamps by Technique Tuesday: Main Street lowercase letters
  • Notebook card stock paper
  • chipboard stickers by Cosmo Cricket: Early Bird
  • Journal cards by Jenny Bowlin & Cosmo Cricket: Earth Love Elements
  • red brad by Basic Grey
  • chartreuse velvet ribbon
Dear Scrap Sisters,
I really enjoyed this challenge. Although, it took me awhile to get started. Every time Farley took a photo of me, I kept saying , "I'm too fat or too ugly. I need make-up." I know I'm my worst critic. So, I took Wena's advice and had Hubs snap a blurry photo. Fabulous idea! The laugh lines and wrinkles disappeared along with any other imperfections I pick at. Plus, I was over thinking the whole thing--the layout, the photo of myself , and what kind of journaling would I do.
But one night, this idea came to me. I was browsing through old journal entries from years ago. Just a mix of feelings and emotions. Silly. Melancholy. Angry. Joyful. And I noticed some of them were in letter form. I used to always write to myself or God or my sister. After that, it came very easy to me.
Thanks again for this reflective challenge and always giving me endless amounts of inspiration.
Forever yours,
Jeanette







3 comments:

  1. nette, i am in tears. this LO is SO sweet. i love that you are so...raw. your page is always so trademark "you". i love all the little embellishments; i love how you wrote a letter to yourself. i love YOU!! xoxo

    btw - this is a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this Nette! Everything about it is perfect - the picture, the letter to yourself, the journaling, the scrabble tiles. I also loved that you signed your name. This is such a great snapshot of your life and who you are right now. It's so very YOU :)

    I also wanted to comment on when you said you couldn't find a good picture of yourself. You are your worst critique. Because years from now, Fiona is going to look at your scrapbook pages and appreciate that you took the time to scrap yourself as a young mother. She is not going to care if you are tall, short, skinny, fat. All she is going to care about is that it is you. That's how I feel when I find any pictures of my mom in her younger years. I never say my mom didn't look her greatest. I'm just thankful that somebody took her picture so I know how she looked like in her 30's. And Nette, you are BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won my Project 12 challenge this month, sugar! I need your address! Thank you so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete